TROY, Mich. – The latest Corvette GTR by Specter Werkes/Sports debuts Nov. 3 at the annual SEMA Show in Las Vegas. Distinguished by its unique, BASF Pearl Blue exterior color and HRE lightweight, carbon fiber wheels, the newest GTR will be on display outside the Las Vegas Convention Center’s Central Hall, as a feature vehicle for HRE.
- StopTech STR big-brake package, featuring six-piston front calipers and four-piston rear calipers
- Mobil 1 synthetic fluids
- Corsa exhaust system with GTR-specific exhaust tips
- Spinneybeck hand-tipped leather interior accents
- Matte-finish carbon fiber accents, including the headlamp housing, front splitter, outside mirrors and more
Wearing signature wide bodywork, suspension upgrades and equipped with a Matrix II LS3 V-8 rated at 535 emissions-legal horsepower, the GTR package is available on all C6 Corvette models, including the base coupe and convertible, the Z06 and ZR1.
- Unique GTR bodywork, including: front fascia, carbon fiber splitter, extractor hood, front fenders, doors, rocker panels, rear fenders, rear fascia, carbon fiber rear diffuser, carbon fiber mirror caps, Cleartastic paint protection, paint and assembly
- Custom GTR headlamp bezels with exposed carbon fiber appearance
- Unique tail lamps and center high-mounted stop lamp
- Michelin Pilot Sport 2 Zero Press tires; 285/30ZR19 (front) and 335/25ZR20 (rear)
- Forgeline or HRE wheels; 19-inch in the front and 20-inch in the rear
- StopTech ST60 front brakes and ST40 rear brakes
- Carbon fiber fuel rail covers and carbon fiber, low-restriction air box
- Hotchkis stablilizer bar kit
- GTR-embroidered seats and serial-numbered dash plaque
- CORSA/Specter stainless steel performance exhaust system
- GTR badges
GTR standard equipment also includes a number of exposed carbon fiber details, including:
- Front splitter
- Rear diffuser
- Outside mirror caps
- Headlamp surrounds
(built for Rollie Purifoy, of Purifoy Chevrolet, in Fort Lupton, Colo.)
C6 Corvette GTR #1 is powered by Specter’s emissions-legal Matrix II engine package for the LS3 engine. It is a “stroker” engine package that boosts displacement from 376 cubic inches (6.2L) to 416 cubic inches (6.8L). That is achieved with a Callies 4340-forged crankshaft that delivers a 4.00-inch stroke. Forged rods from Manley and forged pistons from Mahle round out the rotating assembly.
The camshaft is a special grind from Comp Cams and the LS3 heads’ combustion chambers were enlarged from 71cc to 72cc in order to maintain an 11:1 compression ratio. With stainless steel long tube headers and a low-restriction air intake, the engine is rated at 535 horsepower and 530 lb-ft of torque. The engine also features carbon fiber fuel rail covers and a yellow-painted intake manifold.
The Matrix II LS3 channels power to the pavement via HRE wheels, measuring 19 x 11 inches in the front and 20 x 12 inches in the rear. They wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport 2 Zero Press tires (285/30ZR19, front, and 335/25ZR20, rear). Behind the wheels are StopTech brakes, featuring ST60 six-piston calipers and 15-inch slotted rotors in the front and ST40 four-piston calipers and 14-inch slotted rotors in the rear. The calipers’ yellow color contrasts with the HRE wheels’ black center sections. The GTR also features Hotchkis adjustable stabilizer bars.
On the outside, C6 GTR #1 is painted a gorgeous BASF liquid silver color, the richness of which appears wet to the touch. It is a premium color choice and represents the nearly unlimited paint options available to customers. Inside, GTR-standard embroidered seats and Spinneybeck leather trim details contrast elegantly with the Corvette’s black interior. A Specter Werkes/Sports production plaque is mounted on the center console.
The Specter Werkes/Sports GTR was first launched a decade ago and saw the creation of nearly 30 specialized cars that were delivered across the country – including the two most notable GTRs, which were created for Dale Earnhardt Sr. and Jr., in 2001.
SPECTER WERKES/SPORTS C6 CORVETTE GTR #1 SPECIFICATIONS
- Wheelbase (in) 105.7
- Overall length (in) 182.4
- Overall Width (in) 77 (at rear fenders)
- Overall height (in) 49
- Type Specter Werkes/Sports Matrix II LS3 (optional)
- Displacement (cu in) 416
- Bore (in) 4.06
- Stroke (in) 4.00
- Cylinder block aluminum
- Cylinder heads aluminum; chambers enlarged to 72cc
- Compression ratio 11.0:1
- Horsepower @ rpm 535 @ 6300
- Torque @ rpm (lb-ft) 530 @ 4800
- Fuel premium recommended
- Additional details Specter camshaft profile; forged steel crankshaft; forged connecting rods; forged pistons; carbon fiber fuel rail covers; yellow intake manifold; low-restriction air intake
Transmission and Axle
- Type Tremec six-speed manual
- Final drive ratio 3.42:1
Suspension and Brakes
- Suspension type short/long arm (front and rear) with aluminum upper and lower control arms; monotube shocks; Hotchkis adjustable stabilizer bars
- Front brakes StopTech ST60 six-piston calipers; 15-inch slotted and vented rotors
- Rear brakes StopTech ST40 four-piston calipers; 14-inch slotted and vented rotors
- Anti-lock standard Corvette ABS retained
Wheels and Tires
- Front wheels HRE 19 x 11-inch aluminum
- Front tires Michelin Pilot Sport 2 Zero Press; 285/30ZR19
- Rear wheels HRE 20 x 12-inch aluminum
- Rear tires Michelin Pilot Sport 2 Zero Press; 335/25ZR20